ВГД требуется ведущий (админ)   [х]
Всероссийское Генеалогическое Древо

Генеалогический форум ВГД

На сайте ВГД собираются люди, увлеченные генеалогией, историей, геральдикой и т.д. Здесь вы найдете собеседников, экспертов, умелых помощников в поисках предков и родственников. Вам подскажут где искать документы о павших в боях и пропавших без вести, в какой архив обратиться при исследовании родословной своей семьи, помогут определить по старой фотографии принадлежность к воинским частям, ведомствам и чину. ВГД - поиск людей в прошлом, настоящем и будущем!

Mostly_NorwegianNicole, Regina
Отзывы
Друзья
В друзьях
Древа

Mostly_NorwegianNicole

Nicole Stenerson

Создайте аккаунт или войдите, чтобы отправить личное сообщение этому пользователю и увидеть его полные контактные данные

Сообщения Mostly_NorwegianNicole (16)

Тема: Днепропетровская обл. и Днепр́ (бывш. Днепропетровск)
3.07.2020, 18:15

Vodnik_dnepr написал:
[q]
At the same time, Little Russians (Ukrainians) were mainly engaged in agriculture, and Great Russians mainly came to work and were employed in industry. This can also be a hallmark.
[/q]

Thank you, Vodnik! All of that was helpful, but this definitely rang a bell. All of my ancestors were very agricultural - or ended up farming. I can say this for the Hydomako/Gaydamak family, unsure for about Zayancz, but he did end up trying his hand at farming. The first land title refers to him by the last name "Babichuk", and said he was a butcher from Saskatoon (a city nearby). Also, it was described here that "Hare" is an ancient Russian name.

Тема: КАНАДА
30.06.2020, 4:09

I am Canadian, but looking for someone I believe to be my grandmother's father. I got some information from some older people about 11 years ago, who lived in the area and shared memories of this person. They said he was Russian, had dark hair and was quite tanned, a "well-built man" (guessing he was tall and/or strong), but became crippled from drink and pulled himself around in a cart by his hands. His anglicized name was "Andrew Zaets", but I have seen variations in spelling. On one land title, his name was spelled "Andryj Zayancz", on another title he went by the name "Andrew Babichuk" (same land within the same year - so he must have chosen to use a different name?) and he is described as "Butcher". I do not know his date of birth or death date, but my grandmother was born in December 1929 and her mother in 1903.

I am hoping that somehow there is family from Russia also looking for him in Canada. He lived between Biggar and Perdue, Saskatchewan, Canada, on the NE quarter of Section 21-37-12 West of the 3rd Meridian (or NE 21-37-12 W3) - that is how land in some of Manitoba, Saskatchewan, and Alberta is described on Land Titles. I have searched land titles for him and his name was on this land title in 1928; in 1937, an "Administrator of Estates of the Mentally Incompetent, for the said Province" is on title, and after that the land belonged to a series of different people. I have very little information to work with unfortunately!

It is tricky trying to do research when I don't know Russian or Ukrainian! I would imagine most names became anglicized on documents - there is probably no clear spelling conversion to the English alphabet from Cyrillic, or at least many people recording their names would have been probably English and recorded the spellings incorrectly. That said, if you do have a land location for a relative you're looking for in Saskatchewan, looking up historic land titles is fairly easy. If anyone needs help with that, I can do what I can (between family tree research). Also, land grants can be found by name. Again, spelling can be a problem.

If anyone knows where else I can post this information, that it might be picked up by someone who knows where to look for someone Russian with a name only and approximate period of birth, please let me know or feel free to pass the info along. If you think you can help but need some more information about my family, please let me know what you need and hopefully I might have something to help.

30.06.2020, 3:48

Nikola написал:
[q]
Mostly_NorwegianNicole
I add that the concept of "Ukrainian" appeared in the modern sense in the 19th century, and in fact the Russians and Ukrainians are a single people. Do not break your head over this issue and consider yourself Russian.
[/q]

Phew, this is a relief! I've been pondering this for years and using each depending on my mood. 101.gif Now I can say I am Russian!

29.06.2020, 0:08

Nikola написал:
[q]
Here is a copy from the book "Dictionary of ancient Russian personal proper names." One of them is the Hare.
[/q]

Thank you for this!

Can someone help me understand the difference between being Ukrainian or Russian, historically? We have an independent Ukraine today, so that's easy to tell based in where people live (more or less), but when modern day Ukraine was part of Russia... ie. My relatives (Gaydamak) were from Bakhmut, Ekaterinoslav, Russia and emigrated in 1913 to Canada. Today that's Ukraine, so were they culturally Ukrainian? My great grandmother called herself Russian on a couple of documents, but she was from Russia at that time. Or was there a mix a Russian and Ukrainian people in the district? Is there a large difference between the 2, or is it like Canadians and Americans - same language, similar culture, but different in some ways? I keep asking myself whether I'm Russian or Ukrainian 😊.

28.06.2020, 8:09

Hi, I know some of you were helping me out with my grandmother's parents John (Ivan) and Mary (Maria) Haidamaka.

I was doing some research on land titles. Ivan got 2 land grants in Saskatchewan - on 1 his last name was spelled Hjdamaka and the other Hydamaka! I still have to follow up on tips on church records (it's one of my more difficult tasks so I've been putting it off, lol) I got from a very helpful poster here!

But I did review some land titles for Andrew Zaitz/Zayats..etc. I know where he lived, because that's one of the reasons why he's my main suspect. a_003.gif On one title, his name is "Andrew Babichuk" (of Saskatoon, "Butcher" - interesting, right?). Then, a few months later, the title was cancelled and a new one issued to "Andryj Zayancz" - is that a Ukrainian name? I did have DNA tested and came back to have 9% Eastern European and Russian (which they describe as - "Primarily located in: Austria, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Hungary, Poland, Romania, Russia, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Ukraine, also found in: Albania, Estonia, Germany, Kazakhstan, Kosovo, Kyrgyzstan, Latvia, Lithuania, Moldova, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan), and 8% Baltics - which they list as "Primarily located in: Latvia, Lithuania, also found in: Belarus, Estonia, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Moldova, Poland, Russia, Tajikistan, Ukraine, Uzbekistan".

Is he most likely Ukrainian? Or would that spelling in English mean anything, as far as belonging to other countries? If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them!

Тема: Бахмутский уезд Екатеринославской ГУБЕРНИИ
20.06.2020, 17:57

LikaZp написал:
[q]
Mostly_NorwegianNicole ,
on that map I circled the place in red.

Here is the complete map of Bakhmut County. Bakhmut is a county town, underlined by a white line.
On the red arrow - Novoselovka.

I will write the rest in private messages

[/q]

Thank you so much!

20.06.2020, 15:55

LikaZp написал:
[q]
More truly, s.Novoselovka

[/q]

I'm truly gobsmacked! That's amazing. Thank you for finding this.

Can you translate what the birth document says? Do you have a citation, I'd love to add it to my family tree records.

The map - is that the area where she was from? Really wishing I could understand Russian right now!

20.06.2020, 0:15

I forgot to mention... I found another name on a person's tree on Ancestry.com for Mary Hydomako (Maria Haidamaka) - Hlushko or Luschuk. I'm not sure if this was an error on another user's part, but it's another name that has come from nowhere. It's possible that this could be Mary Hydomako's maiden name/family.

Re: Haidamaka - I've been finding the name Haidamaka in some immmigration documents - even just now an "Josif Hajdamacha", but listed to be from Austria - but also listed as "Ruthenian" for Race of People. His father is listed as Ivan Hajdamacha. I'm including a copy. I doubt it's the right guy - there's probably lots of these guys out there that are close matches.

19.06.2020, 19:57

LikaZp написал:
[q]
I saw a message a year ago that the base is incomplete, including due to the Bakhmut district. Maybe now it’s complete, I don’t know.

Maybe you need to check among Catholics.
[/q]

Do you have a link to a database I can check? I'm still new to Russian genealogy research.

19.06.2020, 19:54

>> Ответ на сообщение пользователя LikaZp от 19 июня 2020 8:40

Yes, Philipchuk was the first husband, in between husbands. My grandmother was born in between, from Zaetz.

Тема: Екатеринославская ГУБЕРНИЯ
19.06.2020, 4:07

Hi, I've been posting this information in Dnepropetrovsk region. and the Dnieper (formerly Dnepropetrovsk), but I thought I should perhaps be posting in here as well.

Some questions I had in a Dnipro... forum, thought I would ask them over here as well:

Птица Сирин написал:
[q]

I've been working on my genealogy for a while - which is mostly Norwegian, so not too hard so far. However when it comes to my grandmother, I have a mystery that I really hope someone can help with ...

I'm looking for more information on my Grandmother's family. Her mother's parents were John and Mary HYDOMAKO . I believe they emigrated moved from Russia to Louvain / Biggar, Sonningdale, and Spinney Hill areas in Saskatchewan, Canada. Her birth certificate says that her mother, Stepenida HYDOMAKO, was born in Ekaterinoslav, Russia in 1903. (On another travel document, Stepenida says she was born in Bakhmut, Russia.) We don’t know who her father was, but a likely Anglicized name spelled “Zayths” was on the birth certificate - which came as a complete surprise. I'd expected to maybe find more information about her mother, and I thought all information about the father would be hidden. Since then, I found a person in the same area at the right time named “Zaets” or “Zaetz” or “Zaitz”. I've found him on a few voter's lists and land in the area, but he's pretty much a ghost. If anyone has any idea about these names, I would appreciate the help!
[/q]

Zaetz may or may not be from Ekaterinoslav. He ended up in Biggar/Louvain area where my great-great-grandfather settled, not too far from where they lived.

19.06.2020, 4:03

Zaetz may or may not be from Ekaterinoslav. He ended up in Biggar/Louvain area where my great-great-grandfather settled, not too far from where they lived.

As far as Haidamaka/Gaydamak/Khudomak (o) goes, there's no telling how it got spelled "Hydomako" by a Canadian Border guard. Very little chance of spelling it close to right, probably British immigrant writing down the details - would have tried to do it as it sounded, I would guess.

I appreciate all the help and suggestions on here! I feel a little bit of hope! I have had my DNA tested, and unfortunately for this search, I soaked up mostly Norwegian DNA (tested through Ancestry.com). I'm 9% Eastern Europe & Russia, and 8% Baltics. I'm assuming Zaetz was the "Baltics"...?

I'm including a picture of Stepenita' - just for your interest and because I think it's a nice picture! I think it's the only one we have of her smiling! She looks so much like my Grandma Mary (her daughter). I am also including a border crossing document from Ancestry.com. I'm glad I got clarification on Ivan = John, thanks everyone who helped with that! I knew that had to be the right document based on what I knew, but was scratching my head about "Ivan" listed as her dad.

Тема: Екатеринославская епархия
18.06.2020, 17:57

Some questions I had in a Dnipro... forum, thought I would ask them over here as well:

Птица Сирин написал:
[q]
I've been working on my genealogy for a while - which is mostly Norwegian, so not too hard so far. However when it comes to my grandmother, I have a mystery that I really hope someone can help with ...

I'm looking for more information on my Grandmother's family. Her mother's parents were John and Mary HYDOMAKO . I believe they emigrated moved from Russia to Louvain / Biggar, Sonningdale, and Spinney Hill areas in Saskatchewan, Canada. Her birth certificate says that her mother, Stepenida HYDOMAKO, was born in Ekaterinoslav, Russia in 1903. (On another travel document, Stepenida says she was born in Bakhmut, Russia.) We don’t know who her father was, but a likely Anglicized name spelled “Zayths” was on the birth certificate - which came as a complete surprise. I'd expected to maybe find more information about her mother, and I thought all information about the father would be hidden. Since then, I found a person in the same area at the right time named “Zaets” or “Zaetz” or “Zaitz”. I've found him on a few voter's lists and land in the area, but he's pretty much a ghost. If anyone has any idea about these names, I would appreciate the help!
[/q]

18.06.2020, 17:38

Thank you!! That's really helpful. I see there's also a thread here for Ekaterinoslav Province, so I may copy and paste to the name threads and that one.

My grandma's father may have been "Andrew" Zaets, a chosen English name possibly? I don't know where he was from.

My great-grandmother's parents names were John and Mary Hydomako. So those first names could have been chosen English names when they got here, would they tend to base the names on Russian ones, or no way to know?

Could Stepenita's parents have taken the names John and Mary, but originally named Ivan and Maria? If so, that makes sense! On a border crossing document that definitely was her, she stated that her Dad's name was Ivan. Does Ivan = John in Ukrainian? And were they Ukrainians likely or Russians? According to the border crossing document I have and birth certificate, they were at one time from Bakhmut, Ekaterinoslav, Russia.

17.06.2020, 4:47

I found the name "Hajdamacha" on some immigration documents and in Canada's "Ukrainian Immigrants, 1891-1930" - with the first name Bazyli (1898). Could that be a possible spelling? Wrong person, wrong journey I think.... but you never know - could be a relative or same family name?

13.06.2020, 3:50

I've been working on my genealogy for a while - which is mostly Norwegian, so not too hard so far. However when it comes to my grandmother, I have a mystery that I really hope someone can help with...

I’m looking for more information on my Grandmother’s family. Her mother's parents were John and Mary Hydomako. I believe they emigrated moved from Russia to Louvain/Biggar, Sonningdale, and Spinney Hill areas in Saskatchewan, Canada. Her birth certificate says that her mother, Stepenida Hydomako, was born in Ekaterinoslav, Russia in 1903. (On another travel document, Stepenida says she was born in Bakhmut, Russia.) We don’t know who her father was, but a likely Anglicized name spelled “Zayths” was on the birth certificate – which came as a complete surprise. I’d expected to maybe find more information about her mother, and I thought all information about the father would be hidden. Since then, I found a person in the same area at the right time named “Zaets” or “Zaetz” or “Zaitz”. I’ve found him on a few voter’s lists and land in the area, but he’s pretty much a ghost. If anyone has any idea about these names, I would appreciate the help!